25 January 2011

It's Official!

So when I got home from work and research yesterday, I complained to Owen:

"Owen, I was so busy at work today! I didn't even have time to do a blog post!"

Boy did I regret that statement, he made fun of me all while I was preparing him a delicious dinner (because I am awesome and so nice) for how busy I thought I was at work. Hey! I make not that much money over here, and am not used to actually having stuff to do, okay? But for some reason, ever since we hired more people in the Math Department, it seems like there is more work to do. Seems backwards, right? Anyway, I blame my lack of posting yesterday on having to actually work at work.

In any case, it is official--I am doing the 30 for 30 challenge! I still haven't finalized the pieces I'm going to pick; Kendi suggests using a spreadsheet to plan out some outfits, and I'm thinking that sounds way more fun than studying tissue biology tonight (don't worry mom, the test isn't until Saturday).

For those of you who don't know what the 30 for 30 remix challenge is, I shall post Kendi's summary here:

The "30 for 30" Philosophy
In December 2009 I started a style blog to document my daily style journey. By April 2010, I’d run out of funds and had lost the original intent of my blog: to remix the contents of my closet. I introduced the idea of remixing what was in my closet by the idea of the 30 for 30 Remix. "30 for 30" simply meant that I would take 30 items and remix only those items into 30, (hopefully) stylish outfits.

The whole point of the remix is to show myself and readers that with a little bit of creativity, you can make what you have work for you.

Interested in joining in? If you don’t have 30 items in your closet, no problem. The best part of remixing is working with what you’ve got. If you’ve got it, let’s remix it. If you have more than 30 items, pick the items that make sense for this remix. This is a challenge to help you learn to shop your closet and to shop smartly. By being well-versed in what you already have, you will become a better shopper.

Here are the rules:

1. Pick 30 items or less from your closet. Shoes are included, but accessories and jewelry are not.

2. Remix the 30 items into 30 different outfits.

That's it! Well not entirely so..

3. Don't shop for 30 days.

Why in the world would I add insult to injury, you ask? Because of two reasons: 1) so you'll learn to shop your own closet and 2) so you'll appreciate it. So many times I've run out and bought a new dress for one event or I bought something because I felt lacking and not what was in my closet. Obviously, this is not the best solution to a problem. I have found that when I limit myself with shopping, with 30 items, I become so much more aware of what I have versus what I need. By the end of the 30 days, I am ready to shop, but with new eyes of what I really need.


FAQ's:

Do camisoles or tanks count as a part of the 30 for 30? It's of course up to you, but if you are using it the same way as you would undies, then don't count it. 


Do workout clothes count? Unless you work at a gym and that's what you are going to be remixing, I don't count work out clothes. If you don't wear them as a part of your every day wear, then don't count it along with your items. 


What counts as an accessory? Scarves, jewelry, purses, tights, etc. You get the picture. If you can't wear it alone, then it's an accessory. Also while we are at it,  please don't only only wear a necklace. You will not be received well in most public places. 


What about coats!? DO they count? Again, if you can't wear an item by itself (i.e. you'd never wear a coat as a part of your outfit) then it doesn't count. I have to wear a coat because it's cold out, but I can't actually remix it. Oh and Blazers, cardigans, sweaters are not outerwear, they count. ;)







Interested in the challenge?? You should sign up and do it with me! 


HERE is the link for signing up. I made it extra big because I want everyone to sign up for it!


Also, in case you are wondering what the delicious dinner is that I made, I tell you. Because I was so proud of myself for using directions that didn't include exact measurements. I made a sauce that goes w/ just grilled chicken-- you mix nonfat Greek yogurt (you are supposed to use plain, but I only had honey and it tasted okay I think), and then mix in minced cucumber, garlic, cumin, and cilantro. Add stuff until it tastes right! Kind of a Greek variety of chicken that is fairly healthy and light. Last night I was so proud of myself, Owen said, "Thanks for not making me food out of a box for dinner every night." Woo! I am so domesticated. 




Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. You are beyond nice! And thank you for the suggestions of fun things to do while I'm at home sick. Thanks for being my friend!

    ReplyDelete