05 July 2012

BACK IN BUSINESS

As I've mentioned before, my life-history recording pretty much has been exclusive -- either I am really good at blogging or writing in my journal, but can never really manage to be awesome with both at the same time. But seeing as I have no job or school right now, I figured I'm running out of excuses. My journal writing is back up, so now it's blogging time!

After graduation, we got to take a cruise for free thanks to Qualtrics. More info and photos later :) But one of our ports of call was in Key West, Florida where my primary goal was to get some of the best key lime pie ever, seeing as key lime pie is my favorite dessert! Also while in Key West, we picked up some of the best key lime juice of all time - Nellie & Joe's! This lime curd was the first thing I decided to make with it, and then I made little graham cracker crusts to fill with the curd. Mini key lime pies!


KEY LIME CURD 


Recipe from Annie's Eats


3 large eggs
3/4 cups sugar
1/4 cup key lime juice
4 T unsalted butter, cut in pieces at room temperature

In a non-reactive saucepan, combine the eggs and sugar. Whisk together until blended. Whisk in the lime juice. Place the pan over medium-low heat. Cook, whisking constantly until mixture is warmed through, heating slowly so that the eggs don't curdle. Whisk in the butter a little at a time, incorporating each thoroughly before adding the next piece. Continue to cook and scoop the bottom until mixture thickens until a spoon leaves a path through. Remove from heat and pass through strainer. Keep refrigerated.