05 April 2012

An Easy DIY Gift

I know that it's already April and I am totally behind on posting this, but I just wanted to share with you part of the gift I gave to my sister for her birthday. She told me that for her birthday she wanted bath salts or bubble bath. I tried looking at some online or other places but decided that it would be better if she could pick out the one she wanted and then I would pay for it because she is so picking about scents (as am I...). So on her birthday, I took her to Bath & Body Works, which seemed like a good candidate for bath salts, but they had hardly any options! It was so disappointing! So we left B&BW disappointed, and I still needed to get something for my sister. I thought about it for a while and decided that I would maybe just try to make my own - how hard could it be after all, right? Turns out, not too hard at all!


These are all the ingredients you need, and it's super simple to put together!

First measure out a cup of salt, either sea salt or epsom salt, into a bowl. Then add a tablespoon or two of baking soda to the salt and mix. Next, add 1/4-1/2 teaspoon of essential oil - I used lavender for one of the jars, and then a mix of tea tree oil and peppermint for the other. If you want the salt to look all pretty, then you can add a couple of drops of food coloring to the salt. Just don't go toooo crazy with the food coloring, or else it might dye the person's skin while they are bathing...Then mix super well until all of the color is evenly distributed and put into a cute container, like this little mini mason jar or something. Tie a little raffia ribbon around, label the scent on the top, and you are done! It was so much fun to make, and I could customize the scents and everything just how I wanted. You do have to have your own essential oils, which may be a little pricey, but they last forever, and you can get the same ones that I did right here on Amazon. And then you can give everyone you know bath salts for the rest of your life! Woohoo!

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment