14 November 2011

Mormon Mondays -- OT

So today for Mormon Monday, I want to share with you some thoughts I have been having lately about the blessings of the scriptures in our lives.

babies are cute and funny but cry and poo a lot. via pinterest. 

Saturday afternoon, I went to my very first baby shower. Some of you may be thinking, holy cow aren't you too young to know people who are having babies!! And others of you may be surprised I haven't been to 15 yet. Anyway, being in my current ward and seeing all of these new families around me lately has really got me thinking. Mostly about how I am SCARED OUT OF MY MIND and feel like I have no idea how to be a parent or to be in charge of my own little family unit. This is a natural feeling for someone who is a mere 21 like myself of course, but I feel like I wouldn't even know how to prepare or if I would ever feel ready for having a family.

I've really been working on my personal scripture study, and for some reason when I was trying to decide what I wanted to focus on, I had this odd urge to study the Old Testament. I thought this was quite strange considering all I remember from the Old Testament year of seminary was that it was really long boring except for the really weird stories about talking donkeys and stuff about the temples. But I just couldn't get my mind off of it, so that's where I started -- good old Genesis. Now, I'm only on Chapter 30, but there's been something that I keep thinking about every time I read this. If I feel this frightened of being a new parent (SOMEDAY -- no, I am not pregnant), can you imagine what Adam and Eve felt like being the first new parents, ever? There were no "What to Expect When You're Expecting" books and no guides to parenthood. They didn't even have their own parents or grandparents to give them any helpful tips! Plus, we all know how one of their very first kids turned out, but how were they supposed to know any better? It's just interesting reading these first few books of the Bible about the beginning of our earth, and just seeing how they were trying to figure everything out. I mean, poor Esau right? But throughout this whole experience, as our very first forefathers were trying to understand how to make families work and how to worship the Lord and how to just survive, our Heavenly Father was there for them the whole way. He was constantly giving guidance and support whenever they remembered to ask. Even the most clueless (not that it was their fault) parents of all time were able to enjoy having blessed generations of posterity through faith and obedience.

Anyway, kind of random. But I also have to share with you this verse I read today --

Genesis 30:1 -- "And when Rachel saw that she bare Jacob no children, Rachelaenvied her sister; and said unto Jacob, Give me children, or else I die."

Sheesh! Talk about baby hungry! Don't worry Mom, I'm nowhere close to that yet :)
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment